Maybe his real goal "all the backups readily available to be read by
my program (opening the backup read only)" is to have a historical
record of what certain records looked like in the past.

There are other ways of doing that, though.

If your speculation is right, perhaps the OP ought to explain a little more fully why he needs 24 snapshots a day, or indeed any at all.

It seems to me that if you really want a historical record of what certain tables looked like in the past, it would be smarter and more accurate to create triggers, for each possible operation, that store the relevant details in an audit table including especially who made the edits and when. This strikes me as being much less work than developing code that processes so many backups.

Cheers

Ted