Henrik Zagerholm wrote:
The document has about 194 000 words.

update tbl_fulltext set vectors = to_tsvector(fulltext_text);

Which takes about 80 seconds to complete.
The hardware is a Pentium 4 2.8GHz with 1GB HyperX memory.

Is this normal? What can I tweak in postgresql.conf to speed up big to_tsvector()?

Is this a problem? How many 194,000 word documents do you index? If you have many, you might want to separate them into chapters. I think tsearch2 is more targetted at web-pages or short PDFs rather than whole books.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd