I'm fiddling with to_tsvector() and parse() from tsearch2, trying to get the word position from those functions. I'd like to use the tsearch2 parser and stemmer, but I need to know the exact position of the word as well as the original, unstemmed word.

It's not supposed usage... Why do you need that?

And this only tells me a word position, not a character or byte position within the string. Is there a way to get this information from tsearch2?

Have a look to headline framework as an example or staring point. hlparsetext() returns parsed text with matched lexemes in tsquery. Small description of hlparsetext is placed at http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/HOWTO-parser-tsearch2.html
near the end. Description of HLWORD struct is some out of day, sorry.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/