On Feb 21, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
The only thing I can think of that rewrites a whole postgresql table
would be reindexing it, or an update without a where clause (or a where clause that includes every row). Normal operations, like create index, add column, drop column, etc do not need to rewrite the table and happen
almost instantly.

Reindexing won't re-write a table; clustering will. Also some ALTER TABLE commands will (such as changing the data type of a column, or creating a new column that's NOT NULL).
--
Jim Nasby                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]