On 05/03/2007 15:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Here's something I've always wondered. When you dump a database, the dumped file
looks like ordinary SQL, but if I load it into a query editor window and try to
execute it, I always get syntax errors. The specific errors vary, but it always
makes it impossible to reload the data that way.

That's because theses files contain psql-specific "backslash" commands as well as ordinary SQL - if you look at what the errors tell you, you'll probably see that they come from lines containing such commands. As I understand it, the plain-text output of pg_dump is intended to be restored via psql.

Ray.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend