Hey, All,

I'm working on a project (for a friend and for self-education) and want to learn a little more about what sorts of applications PostgreSQL is used for. I'm currently looking at a single-computer desktop application that may be scaled to a client-server model with multiple desktop clients and a centralized server.

My database is quite small (only 13 lucky tables, though that may expand a little) and will not hold a great amount of data. (There will be at most records in the thousands for the single-user or tens of thousands for the multi-user.) I will either use Java or C++ for the project. I would run PostgreSQL as a child process.

Is PostgreSQL overkill for such a project? My other choices are to go with a flat-file format or to use an embedded SQL server. The reason to go with PostgreSQL are that I don't have to write as much code, it's known to be reliable for what I'm doing, and it's known to be reliable for what I might be doing. The reason to not go with PostgreSQL is that it might be too much for a modest personal computer; I don't know that the computers running this will even have XP. (I'm not a MS Windows user, myself, unless I have to be. My development boxes are a 1.1 GHz Athlon with 512 RAM with XP and a dual-processor G4 with MacOS 10.4.)

Are there ballpark requirements for what such a database will need to run?

Thanks!

     Don

              http://archives.postgresql.org/