Tom Lane wrote:
"Dann Corbit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lorenzo Thurman
I have three tables using date fields. I want to retrieve the oldest
date contained in the tables. Can someone show me an example of a query
that would do that?

Just do a union and return the min

That's probably not enough detail for a newbie ...

SELECT min(x) FROM
(
 SELECT min(datecol1) AS x FROM table1
 UNION ALL
 SELECT min(datecol2) AS x FROM table2
 UNION ALL
 SELECT min(datecol3) AS x FROM table3
) ss;

Exercise for newbie: which of the AS clauses are redundant?

                        regards, tom lane

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Um, all of them?

      match