Alban Hertroys wrote:
Naz Gassiep wrote:
Hi,
    I'm trying to do an update on a table that has a unique constraint
on the field, I need to update the table by setting field = field+1

I think you're looking for deferrable constraints; see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-set-constraints.html

Which won't work with unique constraints unfortunately. That's because they're implemented through a unique index.

The work-around is to do: field = -field then field = -field + 1 or similar.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd