Thanks to you and Tom.  The partial index solution is working splendidly.

On 5/3/07, Richard Huxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dan Weber wrote:
> I made an expression index specifically for that where clause:
>
> CREATE INDEX special_testing_idx on my_table (((bool_1 or
> int_1 = 0) AND (int_2 IS NULL) AND (int_3 IS
> NULL) AND (protocol = 2)));

No, you haven't. What you've done here is create an index *for that
expression*. And it's not terribly useful because your expression will
only have two possible values: true, false.

What you were after is something like:

CREATE INDEX special_idx2 ON my_table (id) WHERE (...long expression...)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd