Tom,
Thank you. That works.

My psql does not allow me to leave off the trailing `.

It is my typing that is the problem.

Paul

Tom Lane wrote:
Paul Tilles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
What I really want to do is the following:

\set  local_site  `echo  $FXA_LOCAL_SITE
UPDATE  table_name  SET  office_id =  :local_site;

This results in the message
               column  "xxx" does not exist

Yes, because you have no quotes in the value of the variable, so that
update looks to the server like
        UPDATE  table_name  SET  office_id =  xxx;

After some fooling around, the easiest way to get the needed quotes is
to embed them in the echo result:

\set local_site `echo "'$FXA_LOCAL_SITE'"`

BTW, does your psql really let you leave off the trailing ` like
that?  Mine doesn't.

                        regards, tom lane