Hi,
But now having 12 columns and multicolumn index, wont this slow down the search process. I mean in general retrieving 12 columns using a multicolumn index is slower or faster compared to an index on a 12 size array?

Thanks
Abhang
Quoting "John D. Burger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

ABHANG RANE wrote:

I have a array column which has 12 real values in it. Basically
these values represent co-ordinates in 12 dimensions for a
substance. My main need is to find substances similar to a
particular compound. Now I can do by calculating differences with
each array in the whole table. But the table has millions of rows.
So I need some kinda higher dimensional index.

Is there any particular reason you're using an array?  If every row
has all twelve values, I'd just make them columns.  Then I could use
a multi-column index.

I have read about the cube operation in postgre, can it be extended
to 12 dimensions or something like that.

I have no experience with CUBE, but I think it's just a kind of
summarization aggregate.

It sounds like you want the Nearest Neighbor(s) of your "particular
compound".  You might to read about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest_neighbor_search

- John Burger
  G63

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq