Actually, the situation is slightly more complicated. It's more like I have tables A1, A2, and A3 each of which must have a corresponding row in B. So each of A1, A2 and A3 has a BEFORE INSERT trigger that creates a row in B and sets a FK in A1 (or A2 or A3). So I can't just use the same PK in both the A tables and B.

PFC wrote:

I'm using Ruby on Rails and have two tables, A and B. Every row in A needs a corresponding row in B. A also contains a FK pointing to B.

I created a before insert trigger on A that inserts a new row in B, and sets the FK in A. This seems to be running fine.

    So, A has a b_id field linking to B ?

If you need a 1-1 relationship, you could try instead to use the same primary key in B than in A :

A : id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY
B : id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (not SERIAL)

Then, AFTER INSERT trigger on A checks the value the sequence put in A.id and inserts in B with this value as the PK.

Postgres has INSERT ... RETURNING which is a very clean and elegant solution but Rails never heard about it...

      match