Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
(The default statistics target is 10, which is widely considered too
low --- you might find 100 more suitable.)

Does this mean that we should look into raising the default a bit?

Probably ... the question is to what.

The default of 10 was chosen in our usual spirit of conservatism ---
and IIRC it was replacing code that tracked only *one* most common
value, so it was already a factor of 10 better (and more expensive)
than what was there before.  But subsequent history suggests it's
too small.  I'm not sure I want to vote for another 10x increase by
default, though.

Outside of longer analyze times, and slightly more space taken up by the statistics, what is the downside? I mean in reality... what is setting to 100 going to do to effect actual production usage of even a modest machine?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                        regards, tom lane

             http://www.commandprompt.com/