Hi

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

> As part of PGConf.Asia 2017 in Tokyo, we had an unconference topic about
> zero-downtime upgrades.  After the usual discussion of using logical
> replication, Slony, and perhaps having the server be able to read old
> and new system catalogs, we discussed speeding up pg_upgrade.
>
> There are clusters that take a long time to dump the schema from the old
> cluster and recreate it in the new cluster.  One idea of speeding up
> pg_upgrade would be to allow pg_upgrade to be run in two stages:
>
> 1.  prevent system catalog changes while the old cluster is running, and
> dump the old cluster's schema and restore it in the new cluster
>
> 2.  shut down the old cluster and copy/link the data files

When we were discussing this, I was thinking that the linking could be done
in phase 1 too, as that's potentially slow on a very large schema.

> My question is whether the schema dump/restore is time-consuming enough
> to warrant this optional more complex API, and whether people would
> support adding a server setting that prevented all system table changes?

I've certainly heard of cases where pg_upgrade takes significant amounts of
time to run on very complex databases.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com