Everaldo Canuto wrote:
> Some of us unfortunately have to work with multiple databases like Oracle or
> MySQL.
> Their respective clients mysql and sqlplus uses "quit" or "exit" to exit sql
> client.
>
> Oracle's sqlplus uses "quit" or "exit" and MySQL client can be exited using
> "quit" and "exit" but for compatibility with psql, it also supports "\q" and
> "\quit".
>
> Postgres psql already support "\q" and "\quit" but I think that could be cool
> if it supports "exit" and "quit", talking to friends I saw that I am the only
> that sometimes try to exit psql with "exit'.
> The attached patch implements this way to exit psql.

I am -1 on that, because I think that it is not good to break the simple rule
that everything that is a psql command starts with a backslash.

It might reach out to newcomers, but it will confuse people who know psql.

And frankly, anybody who has used sqlplus is used to suffering anyway.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe