On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 at 07:16, Gilles Darold <gil...@migops.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a proposal to implement HIDDEN columns feature in PostgreSQL.
>
> The user defined columns are always visible in the PostgreSQL. If user
> wants to hide some column(s) from a SELECT * returned values then the
> hidden columns feature is useful. Hidden column can always be used and
> returned by explicitly referring it in the query.

The behaviour of SELECT * is well defined and consistent across many
databases, so I don't like changing the behaviour of it.

I would be in favour of a different symbol which expands to a more
selective column set. Perhaps by default it picks up short textish columns;
skip bytea or long text fields for example but can be adjusted with HIDDEN.
Perhaps "SELECT +"?

--
Rod Taylor