On Mon, 2021-10-25 at 14:30 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I don't get the reasoning behind the "except ..." logic. What does
> this
> actually protect against? A reasonable use case for this feature is
> is to
> monitor memory usage of all backends, and this restriction practially
> requires
> to still use a security definer function.

Nathan brought it up -- more as a question than a request, so perhaps
it's not necessary. I don't have a strong opinion about it, but I
included it to be conservative (easier to relax a privilege than to
tighten one).

I can cut out the in-function check entirely if there's no objection.

Regards,
        Jeff Davis

[1] https://postgr.es/m/33f34f0c-bb16-48de-b125-95d340a54...@amazon.com