On 16.12.21 16:25, Tom Lane wrote:
Thomas Munro <thomas.mu...@gmail.com> writes:
Apple's ranlib doesn't like empty translation units[1], but
protocol_openssl.c doesn't define any symbols (unless you have an
ancient EOL'd openssl), so longfin and CI say:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib:
file: libpgcommon.a(protocol_openssl.o) has no symbols

I guess we still can't switch to (Apple) libtool.  Maybe configure
should be doing a test and adding it to LIBOBJS or a similar variable
only if necessary, or something like that?

Hmm ... right now, with only one test to make, the configure change
wouldn't be that hard; but that might change in future, plus I'm
unsure how to do it in MSVC.

A lazy man's answer could be to ensure the translation unit isn't
empty, say by adding

These are not errors, right?  So why is this a problem?