On 10.01.22 09:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Of course, the main problem in this patch is that for most uses it
requires btree_gist.  I think we should consider moving that into
core, or at least the support for types that are most relevant to this
functionality, specifically the date/time types.  Aside from user
convenience, this would also allow writing more realistic test cases.

I think this would be great too. How realistic do you think it is? I
figured since exclusion constraints are also pretty useless without
btree_gist, it wasn't asking too much to have people install the
extension, but still it'd be better if it were all built in.

IMO, if this temporal feature is to happen, btree_gist needs to be moved into core first.  Having to install an extension in order to use an in-core feature like this isn't going to be an acceptable experience.

I have started a separate thread about this question.