On 3/28/22 15:56, Robert Haas wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Joe Conway <m...@joeconway.com> wrote:
Robert -- any opinion on this? If I am not mistaken it is code that you
are actively working on.

Woops, I only just saw this. I don't mind if you want to change the
calls to is_member_of_role() in basebackup_server.c and
basebackup_to_shell.c to has_privs_of_role().

No worries -- I will take care of that shortly.

However, it's not clear to me why it's different than the calls we
have in other places, like calculate_database_size() and the
relatively widely-used check_is_member_of_role().

I will have to go refresh my memory, but when I looked at those sites closely it all made sense to me.

I think most if not all of them were checking for the ability to switch to the other role, not actually checking for privileges by virtue of belonging to that role.

As long as we have a bunch of different practices in different parts
of the code base I can't see people getting this right consistently
... leaving aside any possible disagreement about which way is
"right".
When I take the next pass I can consider whether additional comments will help and report back.

Joe
--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com