On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 5:11 PM Tyler Brock <tyler.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For sure, I’m thinking of it that way. Thanks for confirming.
>
> What I don’t understand is that if I respond to psql with the
> RowDescription indicating the format code is 1 for binary (and encode it
> that way, with 4 bytes, in the DataRow) it doesn’t render the number in the
> results.

Please don't top-post.

psql is a command line program, the server is PostgreSQL or postgres.

I'm not familiar with interacting with the server in C or at the protocol
level; I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean.  But
RowDescription seems to be strictly informative so how would you "respond
to psql with [it]"?

David J.