On 06.07.22 15:21, Andres Freund wrote:
bda6a45bae meson: prereq: Refactor PG_TEST_EXTRA logic in autoconf build

I understand the intention behind this, but I think it changes the
behavior in an undesirable way.  Before this patch, you can go into
src/test/ssl/ and run make check manually.  This was indeed the only
way to do it before PG_TEST_EXTRA.  With this patch, this would now
skip all the tests unless you set PG_TEST_EXTRA, even if you run the
specific test directly.
It's not a free lunch, I agree. But I think the downsides outweigh the upsides
by far. Not seeing that tests were skipped in the test output is quite
problematic imo. And with meson's testrunner we're going to need something
that deals with skipping these tests - and it's more important to have them
skipped, so that they show up in the test summary.

It's not like it's hard to set PG_TEST_EXTRA for a single command invocation?

It's probably ok. I have it set in my environment all the time anyway, so it wouldn't affect me. But it's the sort of thing people might be particular about, so I thought it was worth pointing out.