On 8/9/22 3:22 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

On 2022-08-09 15:17:44 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
We have delayed releases for $COOL_FEATURE in the past, and I think
our batting average on that is still .000: not once has it worked out
well.

I think it semi worked when jsonb (?) first went in - it took a while and a
lot of effort from a lot of people, but in the end we made it work, and it was
a success from our user's perspectives, I think.

Yeah, this was the example I was thinking of. To continue with the baseball analogy, it was a home-run from a PR perspective, and I can say as a power user at the time, the 9.4 JSONB representation worked well for my use case. Certainly newer functionality has made JSON easier to work with in PG.

(I can't remember what the 9.5 hold up was).

The cases where we either delayed/punted on $COOL_FEATURE that cause me concern are the ones where we say "OK, well fix this in the next release" and we are then waiting, 2, 3, 4 releases for the work to be completed. And to be clear, I'm thinking of this as "known issues" vs. "iterating towards the whole solution".

OTOH, it's not a great sign  this is around json again...

Yeah, I was thinking about that too.

Per Andres comment upthread, let's open a new thread to discuss the SQL/JSON + v15 topic to improve visibility and get more feedback. I can do that shortly.

We can continue with the technical discussion in here.

Jonathan