On 24.08.22 17:30, Andres Freund wrote:
258f6dc0a7 Don't hardcode tmp_check/ as test directory for tap tests
8ecc33cf04 Split TESTDIR into TESTLOGDIR and TESTDATADIR

I think these patches are split up a bit incorrectly.  If you apply
the first patch by itself, then the output appears in tab_comp_dir/
directly under the source directory.  And then the second patch moves
it to tmp_check/tap_comp_dir/.  If there is an intent to apply these
patches separately somehow, this should be cleaned up.

How is that happening with that version of the patch? The test puts
tap_comp_dir under TESTDIR, and TESTDIR is $(CURDIR)/tmp_check. There was an
earlier version of the patch that was split one more time that did have that
problem, but I don't quite see how that version has it?

Ok, I see now how this works. It's a bit weird since the meaning of TESTDIR is changed. I'm not sure if this could create cross-branch confusion.

97a0b096e8 meson: prereq: Add src/tools/gen_export.pl

This produces leading whitespace in the output files that at least on
darwin wasn't there before.  See attached patch (0002).  This should
be checked again on other platforms as well.

Hm, to me the indentation as is makes more sense, but ...

Maybe for the 'gnu' format, but on darwin (and others) it's just a flat list, so indenting it is pointless.

I wonder if we should rewrite this in python - I chose perl because I thought
we could share it, but as you pointed out, that's not possible, because we
don't want to depend on perl during the autoconf build from a tarball.

Given that the code is already written, I wouldn't do it. Introducing Python into the toolchain would require considerations of minimum versions, finding the right binaries, formatting, style checking, etc., which would probably be a distraction right now. I also think that this script, whose purpose is to read an input file line by line and print it back out slightly differently, is not going to be done better in Python.