On 21.09.22 17:33, Jacob Champion wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 1:29 PM Jacob Champion <jchamp...@timescale.com> wrote:
I'm happy to implement proofs of concept for that, or any other ideas,
given the importance of getting this "right enough" the first time.
Just let me know.

v8 rebases over the postgres_fdw HINT changes; there are no functional
differences.

So let's look at the two TODO comments you have:

         * TODO: how should !auth_required interact with an incomplete
         * SCRAM exchange?

What specific combination of events are you thinking of here?

            /*
             * If implicit GSS auth has already been performed via GSS
             * encryption, we don't need to have performed an
             * AUTH_REQ_GSS exchange.
             *
             * TODO: check this assumption. What mutual auth guarantees
             * are made in this case?
             */

I don't understand the details involved here, but I would be surprised if this assumption is true. For example, does GSS encryption deal with user names and a user name map? I don't see how these can be equivalent. In any case, it seems to me that it would be safer to *not* make this assumption at first and then have someone more knowledgeable make the argument that it would be safe.