Hi,

On 10.02.22 22:47, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Tue, Feb  8, 2022 at 08:27:32PM +0530, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
Which means that if e.g. the standby_slot_names GUC differs from
synchronize_slot_names on the physical replica, the slots synchronized on the physical replica are not going to be valid.  Or if the primary drops its
logical slots.

Should the redo function for the drop replication slot have the capability
to drop it on standby and its subscribers (if any) as well?

Slots are not WAL logged (and shouldn't be).

I think you pretty much need the recovery conflict handling infrastructure I referenced upthread, which recognized during replay if a record has a conflict with a slot on a standby.  And then ontop of that you can build something like
this patch.

OK. Understood, thanks Andres.

I would love to see this feature in PG 15.  Can someone explain its
current status?  Thanks.

The way I understand it:

1. This feature (probably) depends on the "Minimal logical decoding on standbys" patch.  The details there aren't totally clear (to me).  That patch had some activity lately but I don't see it in a state that it's nearing readiness.

FWIW, a proposal has been submitted in [1] to add information in the WAL records in preparation for logical slot conflict handling.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/178cf7da-9bd7-e328-9c49-e28ac4701...@gmail.com

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases