On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 16:54, adherent postgres <
adherent_postg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aleksander Alekseev
>  I think the xids 32bit transformation project has been dragged on for too
> long. Huawei's openGauss referenced this patch to implement xids 64bit, and
> Postgrespro also implemented xids 64bit, which is enough to prove that
> their worries are redundant.I think postgresql has no reason not to
> implement xid 64 bit. What about your opinion?

Yeah, I totally agree, the time has come. With a high transaction load,
Postgres become more and more difficult to maintain.
The problem is in the overall complexity of the patch set. We need more
reviewers.

Since committing such a big patch is not viable once at a time, from the
start of the work we did split it into several logical parts.
The evolution concept is more preferable in this case. As far as I can see,
there is overall consensus to commit SLRU related
changes first.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.