On 25.01.23 22:16, Jeff Davis wrote:
I am highlighting this case because the existence of a single non-
contrived case or regression suggests that we may want to explore
further and tweak heuristics. That's quite natural when the heuristics
are based on a complex dependency like a collation provider. The
sort_abbreviated_keys GUC makes that kind of exploration and tweaking a
lot easier.

Maybe an easier way to enable or disable it in the source code with a #define would serve this. Making it a GUC right away seems a bit heavy-handed. Further exploration and tweaking might well require further source code changes, so relying on a source code level toggle would seem appropriate.