On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 4:01 AM Pavel Luzanov <p.luza...@postgrespro.ru>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 22.02.2023 00:34, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
> I didn't even know this function existed. But I see that it was changed in
> 3d14e171 with updated documentation:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-info.html#FUNCTIONS-INFO-ACCESS
> Maybe that's enough.
>

> I think that should probably have ADMIN as one of the options as well.
> Also curious what it reports for an empty membership.
>

> I've been experimenting for a few days and I want to admit that this is a
> very difficult and not obvious topic.
> I'll try to summarize what I think.
>
> 1.
> About ADMIN value for pg_has_role.
> Implementation of ADMIN value will be different from USAGE and SET.
> To be True, USAGE value requires the full chain of memberships to have
> INHERIT option.
> Similar with SET: the full chain of memberships must have SET option.
> But for ADMIN, only last member in the chain must have ADMIN option and
> all previous members
> must have INHERIT (to administer directly) or SET option (to switch to
> role, last in the chain).
> Therefore, it is not obvious to me that the function needs the ADMIN value.

Or you can SET to some role that then has an unbroken INHERIT chain to the
administered role.

ADMIN basically implies SET/USAGE but it doesn't work the other way around.

I'd be fine with "pg_can_admin_role" being a newly created function that
provides this true/false answer but it seems indisputable that today there
is no core-provided means to answer the question "can one role get ADMIN
rights on another role".  Modifying \du to show this seems out-of-scope but
the pg_has_role function already provides that question for INHERIT and SET
so it is at least plausible to extend it to include ADMIN, even if the
phrase "has role" seems a bit of a misnomer.  I do cover this aspect with
the Role Graph pseudo-extension but given the presence and ease-of-use of a
boolean-returning function this seems like a natural addition.  We've also
survived quite long without it - this isn't a new concept in v16, just a
bit refined.

> 2.
> pg_has_role function description starts with: Does user have privilege for
> role?
>     - This is not exact: function works not only with users, but with
> NOLOGIN roles too.
>     - Term "privilege": this term used for ACL columns, such usage may be
> confusing,
>       especially after adding INHERIT and SET in addition to ADMIN option.

Yes, it missed the whole "there are only roles now" memo.  I don't have an
issue with using privilege here though - you have to use the GRANT command
which "defines access privileges".  Otherwise "membership option" or maybe
just "option" would need to be explored.

> 3.
> It is possible to grant membership with all three options turned off:
>     grant a to b with admin false, inherit false, set false;
> But such membership is completely useless (if i didn't miss something).
> May be such grants must be prohibited. At least this may be documented in
> the GRANT command.

I have no issue with prohibiting the "empty membership" if someone wants to
code that up.

> 4.
> Since v16 it is possible to grant membership from one role to another
> several times with different grantors.
> And only grantor can revoke membership.
>     - This is not documented anywhere.

Yeah, a pass over the GRANTED BY actual operation versus documentation
seems warranted.

>     - Current behavior of \du command with duplicated roles in "Member of"
> column strongly confusing.
>       This is one of the goals of the discussion patch.

This indeed needs to be fixed, one way (include grantor) or the other
(du-duplicate), with the current proposal of including grantor getting my
vote.

> I think to write about this to pgsql-docs additionally to this topic.

I wouldn't bother starting yet another thread in this area right now, this
one can absorb some related changes as well as the subject line item.

David J.