On 13.03.23 16:31, Jeff Davis wrote:
What we had discussed a while ago in one of these threads is that ICU
before version 54 do not support keyword lists, and we have custom
code
to do that parsing ourselves, but we don't have code to do the same
for
language tags.  Therefore, if I understand this right, if we
automatically convert ICU locale IDs to language tags, as shown
above,
then we break support for such locales in those older ICU versions.

Right. In versions 53 and earlier, and during pg_upgrade, we would just
preserve the locale string as entered.

Another issue that came to mind: Right now, you can, say, develop SQL schemas on a newer ICU version, say, your laptop, and then deploy them on a server running an older ICU version. If we have a cutoff beyond which we convert ICU locale IDs to language tags, then this won't work anymore for certain combinations. And RHEL/CentOS 7 is still pretty popular.