On 5/18/23 4:49 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
I have completed the first draft of the PG 16 release notes.

One thing that we could attempt for this beta is to include a prospective list of "major features + enhancements." Of course it can change before the GA, but it'll give readers some idea of things to test.

I'd propose the following (in no particular order):

* General performance improvements for read-heavy workloads (looking for clarification for that in[1])

* Parallel execution of queries that use `FULL` and `OUTER` joins

* Logical replication allowed from read-only standbys

* Logical replication subscribers can apply large transactions in parallel

* Monitoring of I/O statistics through the `pg_stat_io` view

* Addition of SQL/JSON constructors and identity functions

* Optimizations to the vacuum freezing strategy

* Support for regular expressions for matching usernames and databases names in `pg_hba.conf`, and user names in `pg_ident.conf`

The above is tossing items at the wall, and I'm OK with any or all being modified or replaced.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvpjauCRXcgcaL6+e3eqecEHoeRm9D-kcbuvBitgPnW=v...@mail.gmail.com