Hi,

On 2023-05-19 16:48, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
While at it, I think that making use of an enum might also be an open door (need to think more about it) to allow extensions to set their own wait event. Something like RequestNamedLWLockTranche()/GetNamedLWLockTranche() are doing.

Currently we have "only" the "extension" wait event which is not that
useful when
there is multiples extensions installed in a database.

(Excuse me for cutting in, and this is not directly related to the thread.)
+1. I'm interested in the feature.

Recently, I encountered a case where it would be nice if
different wait events were output for each extension.

I tested a combination of two extensions, postgres_fdw and neon[1],
and they output the "Extension" wait event, but it wasn't immediately clear
which one was the bottleneck.

This is just a example and it probable be useful for other users. IMO, at least, it's better to improve the specification that "Extension" wait event type has
only the "Extension" wait event.

[1] https://github.com/neondatabase/neon

Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION