Hi,

On 6/7/23 8:50 PM, Jaime Casanova wrote:
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 5:19 AM Drouvot, Bertrand
<bertranddrouvot...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

On 6/7/23 7:32 AM, Jaime Casanova wrote:

So, I wonder if that function is really needed because as I said I
solved it with already existing functionality. Or if it is really
needed maybe it is a bug that a CHECKPOINT and pg_switch_wal() have
the same effect?

Even if CHECKPOINT and pg_switch_wal() do produce the same effect, I think
they are expensive (as compare to pg_log_standby_snapshot() which does nothing
but
emit a xl_running_xacts).

For this reason, I think pg_log_standby_snapshot() is worth to have/keep.

CHECKPOINT could be expensive in a busy system, but the problem
pg_log_standby_snapshot() is solving is about a no-activity system,
and in a no-activity system CHECKPOINT is very fast.

a no-activity system at the time the logical replication slot is being created.
Means at the time the system is "non active" it may be possible that the
checkpoint
would still have a lot to do.

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team