Hi,

On 7/3/23 10:34 PM, Nathan Bossart wrote:
On Sat, Jul 01, 2023 at 04:02:06PM +0200, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
Please find V2 attached where it's failing as soon as the database name or
user name are detected as overlength.

Thanks, Bertrand.  I chickened out and ended up committing v1 for now
(i.e., simply removing the truncation code).  I didn't like the idea of
trying to keep the new error messages consistent with code in faraway
files, and the startup packet length limit is already pretty aggressive, so
I'm a little less concerned about lugging around long names.  Plus, I think
v2 had some subtle interactions with db_user_namespace (maybe for the
better), but I didn't spend too much time looking at that since
db_user_namespace will likely be removed soon.

Thanks Nathan for the feedback and explanations, I think that makes fully sense.

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases