On 8/12/23 09:15, Joe Conway wrote:
On 8/11/23 22:35, Jeff Davis wrote:
2. We can more accurately serve the user's intent. For instance, the
safe search_path of "pg_catalog, pg_temp" is arcane and seems to be
there just because we don't have a way to specify that pg_temp be
excluded entirely. But perhaps in the future we *do* want to exclude
pg_temp entirely. Knowing that the user just wants "SEARCH SYSTEM"
allows us some freedom to do that.

Personally I think having pg_temp in the SYSTEM search path makes sense
for temp tables, but I find it easy to forget that functions can be
created by unprivileged users in pg_temp, and therefore having pg_temp
in the search path for functions is dangerous.

Hmm, I guess I was too hasty -- seems we have some magic related to this already.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team