On 06/03/2018 11:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
The main remaining question I have is what do do with back-branches.
Shall we back-patch this or not?

Given the behavioral changes involved, I'd say "no way".  That's
reinforced by the lack of field complaints; if there were lots of
complaints, maybe we'd be willing to break backwards compatibility,
but ...

Fair enough, I tend to over-estimate importance of bugfixes and under-estimate breakage due to behavior change. But if we don't want to back-patch this, I'm fine with that. I was a bit worried about making future backpatches more painful, but this code received only ~20 commits over the past files, half of that due tot pgindent, so that seems to be a non-issue.

But now I'm wondering what does this mean for existing indexes? Doesn't this effectively mean those are unlikely to give meaningful responses (in the old or new semantics)?

regards