Thanks for interesting ideas, Mat!

> On 31 Aug 2023, at 20:32, Mat Arye <m...@timescaledb.com> wrote:
>
> From a user perspective, it would be great to add 2 things:
> - A function to extract the timestamp from a V7 UUID (very useful for
> defining constraints if partitioning by the uuid-embedded timestamps, for
> instance).

Well, as far as I know, RFC discourages extracting timestamps from UUIDs. But
we still can have such functions...maybe as an extension?

> - Can we add an optional timestamptz argument to gen_uuid_v7 so that you can
> explicitly specify a time instead of always generating for the current time?
> If the argument is NULL, then use current time. This could be useful for
> backfilling and other applications.

I think this makes sense. We could also have a counter as an argument. I'll try
to implement that.
However, so far I haven't figured out how to implement optional arguments for
catalog functions. I'd appreciate any pointers here.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.