On 26.09.23 00:20, Tom Lane wrote:
On a slightly related note, I noticed while preparing 3aff1d3fd
that src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode/Makefile seems a little screwy.
If you go into that directory and type "make distclean", you'll
find it removes some files that are in git:

Since this is only used during update-unicode, whose purpose is to overwrite files in git, this might not be totally wrong.

Maybe the target names distclean and maintainer-clean are inappropriate, since they suggest some standard semantics. Maybe the current semantics are also not that useful, I'm not sure. I guess among the things you'd want are "delete all intermediate downloaded files", which seemingly none of these do.