Hi,

> the idea is to split users into 'client users' who can see data
unencrypted, and 'server users', who are administrators unable to decrypt
data.

Exactly!

> how are secrets managed? Do you use a sort of vault to keep encryption
keys?

Good question. The client holds the key and uses a proxy for transparent
encryption. The implementation also assumes secure storage of encryption
keys in hardware-protected memory called "enclaves". Only client users and
server enclaves have access to the plaintext. Please take a glance at page
5 of the slide: www.usenix.org/system/files/osdi23_slides_li_mingyu_v2.pdf.
Modern clouds like OVH and Azure now offer hardware enclaves. If enclaves
are not available, a rich client-side proxy can be used, with extra
round-trip costs.

> Is there a master key to encrypt session keys?

There should be.

> what about performances?

TPC-C overhead is <50%. TPC-H overhead ranges from 5-20 times the baseline;
there is room for TPC-H improvement and we are working on it.

> Is it possible to use indexes on encrypted columns?

Yes. The extension allows client users to intentionally reveal the ordering
of encrypted columns for indexing purposes.

--
Best,
Mingyu

Giampaolo Capelli <giam...@gmail.com> 于2023年10月10日周二 16:18写道: