On 02.11.23 23:34, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2023-11-01 16:39:24 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
OTOH, it seems somewhat unlikely that maintainer-clean is utilized much in
extensions. I see it in things like postgis, but that has it's own configure
etc, even though it also invokes pgxs.

I thought about this.  I don't think this is something that any extension
would use.  If they care about the distinction between distclean and
maintainer-clean, are they also doing their own distprep and dist?  Seems
unlikely.  I mean, if some extension is actually affected, I'm happy to
accommodate, but we can deal with that when we learn about it.  Moreover, if
we are moving forward in this direction, we would presumably also like the
extensions to get rid of their distprep step.

So I think we are ready to move ahead with this patch.  There have been some
light complaints earlier in this thread that people wanted to keep some way
to clean only some of the files.  But there hasn't been any concrete
follow-up on that, as far as I can see, so I don't know what to do about
that.

+1, let's do this. We can add dedicated target for more specific cases later
if we decide we want that.

done