Hi,

On 11/24/23 3:05 PM, Yurii Rashkovskii wrote:
Hi,

I propose a patch that ensures `pg_convert` doesn't allocate and copy data when
no conversion is done. It is an unnecessary overhead, especially when such
conversions are done frequently and for large values.

+1 for the patch, I think the less is done the better.

Happy to hear any feedback!

The patch is pretty straightforward, I just have one remark:

+       /* if no actual conversion happened, return the original string */
+       /* (we are checking pointers to strings instead of encodings because
+          `pg_do_encoding_conversion` above covers more cases than just
+          encoding equality) */

I think this could be done in one single comment and follow the preferred style
for multi-line comment, see [1].

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/source-format.html

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team