On 23.11.23 11:01, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 20.11.23 17:25, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <pe...@eisentraut.org> writes:
On 14.11.23 17:15, Tom Lane wrote:
I don't love the patch details though.  It seems entirely wrong to check
this before we check the opclass match.

Not sure why?  The order doesn't seem to matter?

The case that was bothering me was if we had a non-collated type
versus a collated type.  That would result in throwing an error
about collation mismatch, when complaining about the opclass seems
more apropos.  However, if we do this:

I see.  That means we shouldn't raise an error on a mismatch but just do
      if (key->partcollation[i] != collationIds[j])
          continue;

it might not matter much.

Here is an updated patch that works as indicated above.

The behavior if you try to create an index with mismatching collations now is that it will skip over the column and complain at the end with something like

ERROR:  0A000: unique constraint on partitioned table must include all partitioning columns DETAIL:  UNIQUE constraint on table "t1" lacks column "b" which is part of the partition key.

which perhaps isn't intuitive, but I think it would be the same if you somehow tried to build an index with different operator classes than the partitioning.  I think these less-specific error messages are ok in such edge cases.

If there are no further comments on this patch version, I plan to go ahead and commit it soon.