On Wed Nov 29, 2023 at 1:42 PM CST, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

On 2023-11-29 13:11:23 -0600, Tristan Partin wrote:
> What is our limiting factor on bumping the minimum Meson version?

Old distro versions, particularly ones where the distro just has an older
python. It's one thing to require installing meson but quite another to also
require building python. There's some other ongoing discussion about
establishing the minimum baseline in a somewhat more, uh, formalized way:
https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BhUKGLhNs5geZaVNj2EJ79Dx9W8fyWUU3HxcpZy55sMGcY%3DiA%40mail.gmail.com

I'll take a look there. According to Meson, the following versions had Python version bumps:

0.61.5: 3.6
0.56.2: 3.5
0.45.1: 3.4

Taking a look at pkgs.org, Debian 10, Ubuntu 20.04, and Oracle Linux 7 (a RHEL re-spin), and CentOS 7, all have >= Python 3.6.8. Granted, this isn't the whole picture of what Postgres supports from version 16+. To put things in perspective, Python 3.6 was released on December 23, 2016, which is coming up on 7 years. Python 3.6 reached end of life on the same date in 2021.

Is there a complete list somewhere that talks about what platforms each version of Postgres supports?

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)