On Wednesday, June 13, 2018, Yinjie Lin <exiali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are there two such progresses forked? I think one round should be
> enough, like when using pgAdmin.

You can use the --password option to prevent it.

"""
This option is never essential, since psql will automatically prompt for a
password if the server demands password authentication. However, psql will
waste a connection attempt finding out that the server wants a password. In
some cases it is worth typing -W to avoid the extra connection attempt.
"""

In pgAdmin you've saved a password to the profile so the initial attempt
uses it.  psql doesn't have a similar capability.  Though I am unsure
whether the use of .pgpass would make any difference here...

David J.