On 24.01.24 18:57, Tristan Partin wrote:
> 4. Meson uses git archive internally, but then unpacks and repacks the > archive, which loses the ability to use git get-tar-commit-id.

Because Meson allows projects to distribute arbitrary files via meson.add_dist_script(), and can include subprojects via `meson dist --include-subprojects`, this doesn't seem like an easily solvable problem.

git archive has the --add-file option, which can probably do the same thing. Subprojects are another thing, but obviously are more rarely used.

I think the solution to point 4 is to not unpack/repack if there are no dist scripts and/or subprojects to distribute. I can take a look at this later. I think this would also solve points 1, 2, 5, and 6 because at that point meson is just calling git-archive.

I think that would be a useful direction.