On 4/10/24 01:59, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:

On 9 Apr 2024, at 18:45, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

Maybe we should explicitly advise users to not delete that WAL from
their archives, until pg_combinebackup is hammered a bit more.

As a backup tool maintainer, I always reference to out-of-the box Postgres
tools as some bulletproof alternative.
I really would like to stick to this reputation and not discredit these tools.

+1.

Even so, only keeping WAL for the last backup is a dangerous move in any case. Lots of things can happen to a backup (other than bugs in the software) so keeping WAL back to the last full (or for all backups) is always an excellent idea.

Regards,
-David