Rebased over ca89db5f.

I looked into whether we could drop the "old pass manager" code
too[1].  Almost, but nope, even the C++ API lacks a way to set the
inline threshold before LLVM 16, so that would cause a regression.
Although we just hard-code the threshold to 512 with a comment that
sounds like it's pretty arbitrary, a change to the default (225?)
would be unjustifiable just for code cleanup.  Oh well.

[1]
https://github.com/macdice/postgres/commit/0d40abdf1feb75210c3a3d2a35e3d6146185974c