> The project is currently in feature-freeze in preparation for the next major
> release so new development and ideas are not the top priority right now.
> Additionally there is a large developer meeting shortly which many are busy
> preparing for.  Excercise some patience, and I'm sure there will be follow-ups
> to this once development of postgres v18 picks up.

Thanks, understood.

I had our OSS internal team, who are experts in OSS licensing, review possible
conflicts between the PostgreSQL license and the BSD-Clause 3-like license for
the CRC32C AVX-512 code, and they found no issues. Therefore, including the new
license into the PostgreSQL codebase should be acceptable.

I am attaching the first official patches. The second patch is a simple test
function in PostgreSQL SQL, which I used for testing and benchmarking. It will
not be merged.

Code Structure Question: While working on this code, I noticed overlaps with
runtime CPU checks done in the previous POPCNT merged code. I was considering
that these checks should perhaps be formalized and consolidated into a single
source/header file pair. If this is desirable, where should I place these
files? Should it be in "src/port" where they are used, or in "src/common" where
they are available to all (not just the "src/port" tree)?

Thanks,
Paul