Hi,

On 2024-06-13 16:59:50 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> * Making custom stats data persistent is an interesting problem, and
> there are a couple of approaches I've considered:
> ** Allow custom kinds to define callbacks to read and write data from
> a source they'd want, like their own file through a fd.  This has the
> disadvantage to remove the benefit of c) above.

I am *strongly* against this. That'll make it much harder to do stuff like not
resetting stats after crashes and just generally will make it harder to
improve the stats facility further.

I think that pluggable users of the stats facility should only have control
over how data is stored via quite generic means.

Greetings,

Andres Freund