> On 22 Jul 2024, at 14:53, Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>

> On 7/22/24 13:08, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>>

>>> On 22 Jul 2024, at 12:26, Tomas Vondra
>>> <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't understand how would that solve the problem, can you
>>> elaborate? Which of the values are you suggesting should be
>>> replaced with the shared counter? lastlsn?
>>
>> I think during build we should consider index unlogged and always use
>> GetFakeLSNForUnloggedRel() or something similar. Anyway we will
>> calllog_newpage_range(RelationGetNumberOfBlocks(index)) at the end.
>>

> But that doesn't update the page LSN, which GiST uses to detect
> concurrent splits, no?

During inserting tuples we need NSN on page. For NSN we can use just a counter,
generated by gistGetFakeLSN() which in turn will call
GetFakeLSNForUnloggedRel(). Or any other shared counter.
After inserting tuples we call log_newpage_range() to actually WAL-log pages.
All NSNs used during build must be less than LSNs used to insert new tuples
after index is built.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.